Saturday, June 6, 2009

867-5309 - The Most Known Phone Number in the World

Jenny, Jenny - who can I turn to ?

Everybody knows this song and phone number! - 8-6-7-5-3-0-9!

My wonderful younger brother "Brother Baby" called me this morning. He is out of town playing golf with a friend. The cool restaurant/bar place they went last night had a band and it was none other that Tommy Tutone. Yes, before you ask he did play 867-5309.



"Brother Baby" got to sit and hang out and drink an adult beverage or two with Tommy Heath (Tutone). He never took off his 80's classic eye wear - the Ray-Ban Wayfarers. They had a good time, and he is going back tonight. I will get a picture, but no autograph. "Brother Baby" just put that out there up front. That is understandable.

The Tommy Tutone Band now plays country and from what I hear is very good at it. Not the new country stuff, but the old Outlaw Country - Waylon, Willie and the boys. The stuff we (Brother Baby, myself and our little sister Jose' Cuervo) listened to when we were growing up in the late 70's and early 80's. Our parents resisted disco like the plague. So we all like a little David Allen Coe, Waylon (God rest his soul), and Willie.

Another thing that Tommy sang was an obscure song by The Band. It is titled "When I Paint My Masterpiece." This song was written by another family favorite Bob Dylan. I've never heard Dylan's version, but the Band does a wonderful job. Brother Baby said it was a great country version.

"When I Paint My Masterpiece" was written in 1971. Dylan put it on an album and then the Band also did the same year. The Grateful Dead (which I do not follow) played it live in the 80's and 90's. Then Jerry Garcia passed away and they quit that. I always thought Jerry Garcia looked like Santa Claus. "Oh, wear a touch of gray - kinda suits you anyway!)

Check out the links to the left.

Someday everything is gonna sound like a rhapsody - when I paint my masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment