Friday, June 5, 2009

I don't care if it rains or freezes,

'long as I got my Plastic Jesus - sittin' on the dashboard of my car.

No I am not being tacky here, this is a wonderful song, and I know it by heart. My friends even know it too. I would talk about it all the time.

If you have ever seen the movie "Cool Hand Luke" with Paul Newman and George Kennedy. Newman is sent to the county farm because he had torn up some parking meters. He was put on the chain gang.

Anyway, while his unfortunate incarceration, Luke's mother dies. He pulls out a banjo and sings the "Plastic Jesus song". I really don't know why.

Before Tivo and all of that, "Cool Hand Luke" came on TBS one day and I taped it on the family VCR. Later, I rewound the movie to the part of the Plastic Jesus song. I wrote down all the words and then proceeded to go get my guitar and play the whole song.

Years later as a grown, married woman, my mother calls me and says she is sending me something in the mail, but would not tell me what it was. I was a little apprehensive, but waited. It came a few days later, and it was an article all about the infamous "Plastic Jesus".

In Tunica County, Mississippi, there is a little factory that makes and sells the Plastic Jesus. They gave the history of it and all. One interesting tidbit that was told is that some older models of the Plastic Jesus were hollow, and that moonshiners hid their liquor in it. Not sure how true this is, but I think that would have to be a pretty big Jesus.

Of course I can't find the Tunica factory online. Maybe they are out of business - who knows, but since you can find anything on eBay I searched there.

Yes, you can find a Plastic Jesus there. The things are even bobble heads. How tacky. Obviously, none of these are authentic types that were sung about. These are supposed to "come in colors pink and pleasant - glows in the dark cause its iridescent". Then you are to take it with you when you travel far.

If you watch the clip on the left of the screen, you will see stupid footage of the movie "Airplane". In one clip they show the dashboard of the cockpit, and yo and behold, their He is- the Plastic Jesus!

A final word, I just don't think I can talk about this great movie and not use the best line from the whole movie. "What we have here is, a failure to communicate." I really think it deserves a blot post unto itself. It will just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment